Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Sterling’s App Why Sterling’s App and not Genetics Genie?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My question: What benefits and/or information do you get from Sterling’s app that you can’t get from Genetics Genie, which is free?

Thanks.

Sterling Hill Erdei
    Keymaster

My app is expanding by leaps and bounds. I will have another app out in two months. Maybe one of the practitioners would like to have their input here to tell you why they prefer my app. Here is my app. http://gallery.mailchimp.com/da0006e6611caa3dd9e7cae6d/files/Sterling_Hill___MTHFRSupport_Variant_Report_v1___95017884434038802.pdf

Sterling

Mariell68
    Participant

Thanks. I probably will purchase your app. I just wanted to find out what, specifically, I would learn from this $20 purchase. Not to sound cheap, but there are many, many ways to spend money on one’s health and I want to make sure I’m getting something valuable.

That being said, I am a very healthy middle-aged woman with some MTHFR and detox mutations, who wants to maintain good health into old age. After BHRT was an epic fail for me this year, I am trying to understand my detox profile. The curious mutation I have (learned from Genetics Genie) is that I am homozygous for the CYP1B1 L432V mutation, which is supposed to affect the “hydroxylation of estrogens”. I can’t find much on the internet about this. I also am compound heterozygous for the MTHFR mutations, but with a little methylated folate and methylcobalamin, I seem to be good to go. My homocysteine levels are currently normal. I have a family history of heart disease and want to maintain my excellent health. So I continue to seek out helpful information.

Thanks for your response.

hardasnails1973
    Participant

One can not rely on homocysteine levels as an indicator of methylation. Your body will rob from peter to pay paul behind the scenes to maintain homostatsis. I have seen hundreds of normal homocysteine serum levels with extremely poor methylation. When it comes to this there is a lot more then meets the eye so speak. This is why so many people slip through the cracks of modern medicine due to the lack of education. Cyp1B1 mutation can be found through looking at the 2 vs 16 and 4 OHE. These test can be ran through genova, meridian valley or Rhein labs. Having the information is great knowing what to do with it is another issue…Shawn

Mariell68
    Participant

So I purchased Sterling’s app after all. Interesting learnings — it was really an expanded version of what you get from Genetics Genie. Although I’m finding that just knowing what some of your mutations are really is just the first step.
    Some things I found…
    – Given the right building blocks and circumstances, I should be a glutathione-producing machine. My GSTM1 and GSTP genes are all homozygous for the wild type. That rocks, doesn’t it? At least taken at face value.
    – I’m homozygous for the F10 mutation. Hmm. My sister and I both complain about easy bruising, and my brother had frequent nosebleeds growing up.
    – For most of the noteworthy CBS (Cystathione beta synthase) snps, I am heterozygous – 1 wild type, 1 mutation. In my family, we seem to have some minor sensitivity to glutamates. I recently had the worst headache imaginable from taking NAC and I don’t usually get headaches. My brother has gout, I’m thinking from mutations that prevent him from doing a good job clearing ammonia. However, I do NOT have a SUOX mutation.
    – I am homozygous for the COMT H62H and V158M mutations. Yes, I am a worrier (too much dopamine, I guess). I also saw something in Sterling’s blog about people with those two COMT mutations having trouble clearing estrogens. Maybe that’s why BHRT didn’t work well for me.
    – MTHFR – I am heterozygous for the mutations MTHFR A1298C and MTHFR C677T. I am homozygous for the MTHFS mutation and am not sure what that one means. I am also AA (homozygous for the mutation) for PEMT/rs4646406 and AA (homozygous for the mutation) for SHMT2/rs34095989. I am not sure how to interpret those. There are a lot of MTHFR/methylation genes where I am heterozygous – 1 mutation and 1 wild gene. I am not sure how to go about researching these. Maybe they aren’t significant for me. I will do some further research.
    – I am disappointed that 23andMe didn’t have results for the NOS D298E gene.
    I’ll keep researching further. The heartfixer.com page has really helpful information. Like I said, I’m a really healthy person, just looking to keep this good health into old age 🙂
    Mari

Sterling Hill Erdei
    Keymaster

Hey Marie,

Sorry I was down for almost 7 weeks with an ulcer in my eye. Just seeing this feed.
    I wanted to tell you that we will have some more G6PD SNPs out in the near future. Seems G6PD people have a very hard time with sulfates. I actually have one that is not on our variant report yet. I started looking into this after doing a CBS protocol having the A360A heterozygous and C699T homozygous and was actually molybdenum toxic when taking it after a few months. I tried to fix something that was not broke and ended up breaking it. Read a little here on G6PD and sulfate issues. http://www.g6pddeficiency.org

Arcole
    Participant

I ran my results through both and the Genetics Genie for MTHFR came back n/a on all my results as well as my daughter’s. So I got all excited thinking that maybe we were in the clear. Unfortunately when I ran them through Sterlings, my MTHFR results looked like a bad traffic day—way too many reds and yellows! Sterling’s also provides loads of info that Genie does not about a number of other things, such as my daughter’s disturbing clotting results. I ran mine through Promethease as well and was less than impressed with the usability of this report. Clicking on individual snps in Sterling’s gave me just as much info and maybe caused me to learn more because I was specifically clicking the red snps. So I’ve got Sterling’s printed out and am making notes on it. I am so glad I ran the 23andme and used this app to shed some light on my issues. I’d rather spend the $$ on that than on one high-dollar prescription drug that I probably won’t metabolize anyway.

madrona1
    Participant

I am really confused by the last post. Arcole, are you saying that Genetic Genie and Sterling’s disagreed on the results? (If so, how do you know which to believe?)

Or are you saying that you had no abnormalities on GG, but, since Sterling’s tests for more things, you found out you did have some genetic issues after all?

Can anyone shed light on this? (You don’t have to be the original poster if you basically know the answer.)

Istvan
    Participant

If you would like to check the sample report out then send an e-mail to beclotaware@gmail.com

kcdmom
    Participant

I ran results through both and got very different reports. However, I did not pay for app or report. I don’t see link for Paypal or instructions to purchase app. The information generated may not be my data. Can someone comment on how to purchase app / report?
    Thanks

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi kcdmom,

Instructions on how to download your raw data and use Stirling’s App are available here
    http://www.mthfrsupport.com/sterlings-app/how-to-raw-data/

Stirling’s App can be ordered here http://www.mthfrsupport.com/reports-consults/order-reports/

Any technical issues with Stirling’s App can be directed to the technical support team by emailing
    contact@mthfrsupport.com

If you wish to see an example report before using Stirling’s App please email Stirling at
    beclotaware@gmail.com

Lea

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Sterling’s App’ is closed to new topics and replies.