Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Ask a Practitioner (closed) Thyroid replacement and Methylation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had my thyroid removed in 1979 and have been on synthroid and now synthroid and cytomel the last few years. Since I started Methylation (very low doses) I have become hyperthyroid ( blood work) and am actually on the lowest thyroid dose ever since 1979.
    I am trying to figure out if all the anxiety I am feeling is being caused from me still being hyperthyroid or if it is the Methylation causing the anxiety.
    Can someone please explain how Methylation effects the dosage of thyroid hormone replacement?
    I am homozygous MTHFR and homozygous COMT.

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi LuAnn, Cynthia here. The anxiety is likely partially due to hyperthyroid. Having said that, healthier cell membranes and proper methylation may result in less need for certain meds.

sombrerocat
    Participant

Hi LuAnn

I have thyroid issues myself, but never hyper. My brother-in-law has a friend who had his thyroid removed, and then part of it grew back and he became on the hyper side again. Also, I knew someone years ago who told me her mother had her thyroid removed, and for some reason she still has a piece of it the size of a marble and is still hyper. Gosh — if only my thyroid could start working again! Mine’s been inactive for years. Maybe you’ve got a little piece of thyroid working better? Could be good news. Perhaps you’ll get lucky and eventually be better regulated. Could your doctor give you a thyroid sonogram? IMHO, just don’t let the doctors make you swallow the radioactive iodine pill to kill what’s left! I have talked to people who have had problems after this procedure. Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Ask a Practitioner (closed)’ is closed to new topics and replies.