Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Ask a Practitioner (closed) the more I learn….

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The more I learn the more confused I get.
    I read that I need high B-12, but then, another snp indicates I don’t do well with methyl donors. (B-12 is one, right?)
    For simplicities sake, let me say that I have adrenal issues, insomnia,
    depression and sometimes anxiety. My depression matches descriptions of low dopamine.
    I am homozygous for :
    VDRtaq
    Mao a r297R
    MTR a2756G
    and hetero for (the number means how many of each)
    2 comt, 1 mthfr C677t, 3 MTRR, 3 BHMT, 1 CBS.
    Should I take Quatrofolic? hydroxsyB-12? mucucna pruriens?
    Or? or?
    overwhelmed, janagram

DrTimJ
    Participant

It is all about the timing. If you have poor gut health, start there. If you have COMT, methyl B12 is not the best choice. Typically, adenoysl or hydroxy is better.

–Dr. Tim

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi, A couple of things…which CBS SNP do you have? If is C699T, then you may want to work with a Practitioner, or your efforts in introducing methylation support will yield some confusing symptoms/reactions. Things need to be addressed in order, depending on your SNPs, and foundational support must be in place, before you start pushing methylation pathways. As you have COMT heterozygous SNPs, you are likely higher in dopamine, not lower. I would look at your serotonin or GABA as a potential neurotransmitter culprit. Your VDR homozygous SNP is very telling. Your Vit D levels are probably low, which could account for depression. If you have GI issues, you may want to purchase some Micellized Vit D (not capsules) and begin with that. Hope that helps…Cynthia

janagram
    Participant

Dr. Tim,
    Thank you for the quick reply! Gut health is pretty good.
    I do have COMT so thanks for the tip about forms of B12.
    Which of these snps is most likely to cause insomnia?
    Thanks again, janagram

janagram
    Participant

And thanks so much to Cynthia also!
    And I have located a doc thru your list…thanks to Sterling!
    janagram

Sterling Hill Erdei
    Keymaster

Welcome!

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Janagram, You mentioned that you have the COMT SNP. I do too; homozygous. Yes, it can play a part in insomnia, especially under times of stress. WHy? Well, Dopamine, Nor-epi and Epi (all are neuro-excitatory) are broken down by COMT as all are catecholamines. Some of estrogen breakdown also requires COMT. Further, the conversion of Nor-epi to Epi also involves SAMe and cortisol (goes high under stress unless adrenals are pooped out). If your COMT enzyme is down-regulated, then your brain and nervous system tends to hang out in the sympathetic side (wired), rather than the parasympathetic side (chill mode). When Im wired before bed, I reach for Kavinase Ultra PM (a bit of 5 HTP, melatonin and GABA) Cynthia

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Ask a Practitioner (closed)’ is closed to new topics and replies.