Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Ask a Practitioner (closed) Supplements for pregnancy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

History:
    April 2011 – healthy pregnancy (took normal PNVs, B-complex, extra B6)
    August 2012 – miscarriage 1
    November 2012 – miscarriage 2
    December 2012 – diagnosed homozygous C677T. Started 2000 mg folic acid, baby aspirin, continued Rainbow Light PNV (with folic acid)
    October 2013 – healthy pregnancy

I realize now that the additional folic acid wasn’t go. I am planning to switch to PNVs with L-5-MTHF. What I am wondering is, do I need an additional folate supplement? I would like to try to be pregnant again this fall. My OB said she will prescribe me whatever folate I’d prefer if I have a strong opinion about it (she maintains folic acid is fine). Also, what is the best PNV for this situation?

Istvan
    Participant

Hi Alexandra!

Please, stay away from folic acid. It is not a bioavailable form, and the miscarriage is just one sign of this.
    Because of the MTHFR polymorphism you have trouble converting folic acid into methylfolate.

Folic acid is a synthetic form of the naturally occuring folate which can be obtained by eating leafy green vegetables and certain fruits.
    If you have a glitch in the conversion (MTHFR), then folic acid will do you more harm, than good.

To give you a basic understanding: homocysteine is in perfect range when it’s not too high and not too low. If the levels are in the extremes, it will cause neurological, cardiovascular problems and inflammation.
    So imagine that folic acid cannot be converted to the right form by the faulty enzyme, and it will build up in your system and cause harm.
    One of the symptom is miscarriage.

If you’re prenatal supplement contains 5-MTHF, which is the bioavailable form of folate, then you are good. If it contains folic acid as well as 5-MTHF, I’m suggesting you to find a different supplement.

Hope this helps!

sandikiyomi
    Participant

is a prenatal with 800 mcg folate enough to cover the folate needs for pregnancy? i’ve seen lynch’s list include a methylated b12 and also a plain folate supplement in addition but not sure what those are for, or if i’d need neither, or one or both in addition to his prenatal. i’m compound hetero and not tolerating folate well with out side effects. still figuring out how much i can tolerate but also want to have enough for conception.

Istvan
    Participant

Hi sandikyomi!

This depends on your tolerance for methylfolate and methyldonors in general. Folate is found in leafy green vegetables and certain fruits.
    If you would like to learn more about Folate and MTHFR I highly suggest reading our FAQ which will help answer your question.

You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/mthfr-support/faq/774091042609135

Thank you!

sandikiyomi
    Participant

thanks! i have a doc appt on monday and will inquire about my blood tests to see if i’m expressing and the extent to which i am

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Supplements for pregnancy’ is closed to new replies.