Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Risk alleles are different on your report versus others

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,
    I am seeing that in the detox section many risk alleles are different compared to Genetic Genie and Snpedia. For example, in your report the G allele is the risk one for this SNP:

BMP2 C282Y G GG +/+
    Additional Information
    rsID: rs235756
    SNPedia: http://snpedia.com/index.php/rs235756

But when I go to the snpedia link, it looks like T is the risk allele and the C allele (or G I assume) is normal.

This is one of many examples.

Please advise.

Haramandeep Singh

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Haramandeep,

The risk allele for rs235756 is G. The information in this link from 23andMe explains why sometimes you will see different alleles and risk alleles from different resources. https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/202907660-Which-DNA-strand-does-23andMe-report-for-SNP-genotypes- The information used for Sterling’s App V2.1 Variant report correlates with the alleles used by 23andMe.

Lea

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by  Lea (Admin).
    Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi,

I’m adding my 2 cents.

Much research is looking at the resulting amino acids selected (e.g., COMT V158M), and not the actual nucleotide that was swapped.

The other thing to note, is that “risk” associated with a risk allele, may be a risk for some things, but confer a benefit for other things. So, there is research on on both the wild type (normal) and the “risk” allele.

The reality is that you have to look at SNPs in groupings. So, for example a VDR SNP may not be ideal wrt Vit D absorption, buts it’s a benefit to those who have COMT ++ for V158M and H62H.

Cynthia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘MTHFR Support Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.