Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Ask a Practitioner (closed) Progesterone and MTHFR

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Sorry I meant to post this with my other one. I also have low progesterone and am estrogen dominant although the estrogens aren’t inordinantly high, just that progesterone is too low to balance correctly. I have had unexplained bleeding and spotting in the luteal phase since going off b/c almost a year ago. I tried 40mg/day of progesterone cream for the last two months and it made no difference. My next step is to try a little prenenalone with a progesterone transfer support supplement. Thoughts on this? I’d like to get to the root of the issue, not just take oral progesterone. Adrenals are not great – the curve is there but never hits the normal line. I”m wondering if progesterone steal is occuring and my body is sending it to cortisol, DHEA and even estrogens.

I just got my labs back for homocysteine and it was 10.8. Top of the reference range was 15 so that was normal. However everything I”m reading says it should be 6-8. I am hetero A1298C. Insight into this? I just ordered Amy Yasko’s methylation profile to take but it will probably be a bit before I get it and get results back. I take 40-50mg of p5p per day and 800 to 1000mcg’s of metafolin with methylcobalimin.

Sterling Hill Erdei
    Keymaster

First of all I will tell you I am not a doctor. I do want to say that the practitioners would red flag you with a homocysteine of 10.8. They would question a few things. MTHFR (low folate), BHMT (need for something like TMG/betaine), low b12. Also a really good person to contact regarding hormones is Shawn Bean located in PA under find a practitioner.

Hope some of the others answer this for you.

Sterling Erdei

hrsewoman
    Participant

Thanks. I sent in my methylation panel to Dr Yasko the other day and it could be up to 12 wks for results which is fine. I”m certainly in a much better place then I was a year ago. I’ve had blood level folates run and they were super high where as before the folate supplementation they were low/normal. I understand that may not mean your body is converting them properly though. I’m at a loss as to where to go next at this point. I guess the best thing to do is just wait for the methylation panel to come back? I started taking 5mg prenenalone and 2 capsules progestomend (contains vitex) every day a few days ago to see if that makes a difference this cycle.

Sterling Hill Erdei
    Keymaster

Hopefully Dr. Yasko can fine tune you.

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi, You may want to consider ordering a 23andMe test, which will yield much more raw data than DR Yasko’s panel. The raw data is then used to generate a Variant Report via Sterlings App. Hormone imbalances are multifactorial, and often include SNPs in both Phase I and Phase II liver detox of estrogen; not shown on Dr Yasko’s panel. Also, its best to look “upstream” at adrenals and thyroid if issues in the HPATG axis. Cynthia

hrsewoman
    Participant

I thought the 23andme test would just give me the MTHFR gene that I already know and other stuff…that its been sliced and diced by the FDA recently as far as what it can report, etc…? I’d have to know exactly what I’m getting to spend the money…is there specific information I should be looking for?

hrsewoman
    Participant

And why can’t I request this stuff be tested via insurance? I shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for all of this. Can’t I request my PCP run some bloodwork with this information requested? Anybody have any luck there? I will be 35 this summer and was told insurances would cover some genetic testing for fertility purposes and wondering if I can get this stuff done without shelling out more oodles of $$….

hardasnails1973
    Participant

With many women you need to look at the hormonal pathways from start to finish as there are many hidden factors which can contribute to current health issues form improper metabolism. Even if you got PCP do run test they would not have the proper understanding knowing what to do next unfortunately modern medicine is usually behind the times by 10 years or more. The lesson I learned through my own health journeys you can not put a price tag on your health. As many others have found out by trying to economize their health.

hrsewoman
    Participant

So what are the tests to run for hormonal pathways? My pcp will run anything I ask and she’s quite adept at understanding the results, if not she defers to my two ND’s.

Istvan
    Participant

Hi hrsewoman!

If you would like to setup a consult with Sterling Hill Erdei to get familiar with your Variant Report results and SNPs, please contact her at beclotaware@gmail.com

If you would like to setup a consultation with one of the practitioners then go to the top right hand corner of this webpage and select Our Team to get familiar with them.
    We also have a list of practitioners throughout the world. To see this list go to the Find a Practitioner menu.

Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Progesterone and MTHFR’ is closed to new replies.