Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Homozygous for CBS and COMT – Help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wondering if anyone can shed light on the issues if you have +/+ for CBS C699T, as well as COMT V158M and H62H also as homozygous?
    Is this like being kind of screwed on both sides of SHAH and homocysteine? I read that you should lower sulfur and get CBS in check first, but wanted to see if anyone had some info?

My symptoms as of last couple of months is thyroid anti-bodies are up and have some adrenal or hypothyroid issues, and soreness with neck and back muscles, not sure if related to thyroid. TPO AB was only at 13.0 which is not overly high, so hoping my body is just fighting off whatever.

I think that methylation at this point takes a back seat to sulfur pathway? My ammonia is a bit high at 33 mcmol/L right now. Seems my report shows the most +/+ issues with neurotransmitter genes and Liver Detox II genes as well.

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by  paul-66.
    Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Your post has been forwarding for reply. We appreciate your patience in awaiting a response.

Lea

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Paul,

Lots going on…wrt suspected CBS up regulation, there is a cascade impact that should be addressed first. Higher ammonia, and potentially low arginine and BH4 and “brain fog” from higher proxy nitrate and super oxide. A Genova Diagnostic NutrEval would show whether above is in play. A Practitioner can work with you to adjust levels of above.

As far as COMT V158M homozygous, be careful with methyl donors such as methyl B12 and 5 MTHF as they can raise catecholamine levels.

AS far as soreness, its possible that something you are eating or being exposed to is increasing inflammation. That would track with increased hypothyroid symptoms Cynthia

paul-66
    Participant

Thank you for the reply, I am working on ammonia issue now by lowering sulfur intakes and maybe do a charcoal treatment once a week. I was taking B12 and other B multi as well as AdenoB12, and I have stopped them all.

I do add one riboflavin only supplement only because I know that thyroid and low T4 causes low thyroid, as T4 is needed with riboflavin which impacts the FAD system.

I think I should probabably get with someone, I know the pieces but could use help putting it all together 🙂

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

MTHFR Support provide the Find A Practitioner listing here https://mthfrsupport.com/find-a-practitioner/ to help you locate a practitioner experienced in this field should you need to.

Lea

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘MTHFR Support Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.