Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum General Discussion Homocysteine increased after methyl supplements

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,
    I have taken Methyl Factors from Cytoplan and my homocysteine has increased from 13 to 14! What is causing the increase? Should I be taking Hydro b12 instead? Would gluthatione reduce the homocysteine? I would be thankful for any help since there is no doctor in my area that knows about metylation issues.

MTRR 66 Hetrozyote
    CBS 699 Wild type
    COMT 472 Homozygote
    MTHFR 1298 Homozygote

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi imass189,

Your questions have been forwarded to a practitioner admin for reply. We appreciate your patience in awaiting a response.

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi, Homocysteine can be broken down only via the trans-sulfuration pathway which required P5P (via B6) and serine. Make sure you have both on-board. This catabolic route allows the elimination of L-methionine and the toxic metabolite L-homocysteine (PubMed:23981774, PubMed:20506325, PubMed:23974653).
    CSB is also structurally heme dependent (a heme sensor protein). “Cystathionine beta-synthase (CBS) is a unique heme-containing enzyme that catalyzes a pyridoxal 5′-phosphate (PLP)-dependent condensation of serine and homocysteine to give cystathionine. Deficiency of CBS leads to homocystinuria, an inherited disease of sulfur metabolism characterized by increased levels of the toxic metabolite homocysteine. Here we present the X-ray crystal structure of a truncated form of the enzyme. CBS shares the same fold with O-acetylserine sulfhydrylase but it contains an additional N-terminal heme binding site. This heme binding motif together with a spatially adjacent oxidoreductase active site motif could explain the regulation of its enzyme activity by redox changes.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.