Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum G6PD Enzyme

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Which is the G6PD enzyme that causes problems with red blood cells? All of mine are normal except that I’m homozygous for rs2071429. I wonder if that’s the one where you have to not take high doses of Vitamin C due to potential problems with red blood cells?

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi tely,

I have forwarded your question on for reply. We appreciate your patience in awaiting a response.

Lea

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Tely, Any SNP in G6PD counts. So, folks with G6PD may un-wittingly induce a deficiency in the enzyme via ingesting one of a list of foods or supplements. Please google the G6PD website so you know what to avoid. The most obvious reaction is that red blood cells die too early and release their contents (iron) and all that entails. Free iron is just as dangerous as free mercury, so our body’s have a complicated system to keep free iron away from our organs and tissues. Also, if you have a homozygous SNP in any of the G6PDs listed, you may also want to see if you have any HFE SNPs. SO a side story…I have 2 homozygous G6PD SNPs and a couple of HFE SNPs. As a kid I ate a typical gluten laden diet and was anemic and had to take ferro sequels to supplement iron. Constipation in youth and poor liver detox. Also, as a result of low iron, my period was absent at 16 and I was put on strong hormones to kick start. With my COMT SNPs (I know now) it was disastrous for me. I lost 5 years with severe migraines and crazy behavior. Dumb but I didn’t understand. Fast forward to when I could not afford to pay for the hormone pills, and I got better.
    Years later, I did Vit C IVs. Then my red blood cells burst and my high iron levels pushed my % saturation of iron to 76%. Way too high as my body was trying to capture and sweep up circulating free iron. So, the moral of my story is that if you have G6PD SNPs, monitor your iron markers and avoid anything that perturbates iron. Menstrual cycling and estrogen are also in play. Bottom line is that folks with G6PD will swing between low and high iron, exacerbated if they also have HFE SNPs, but easily controlled if you avoid the triggers and monitor.
    As an aside, G6PD is a key enzyme in the pentose phosphate pathway; energy and electrolyte balance (cramps in muscles are a sign of imbalance and potential G6PD impact).
    Please contact me off-line if you have additional questions about this. Its very important to avoid swings in iron levels for many reasons. c.smith@lifezonewellness.com

tely
    Participant

Thanx, Cynthia. This is helpful. How much Vitamin C do you think is too much? I’ve done 20g/day of liposomal in the past and was planning on resuming that. As for iron, my TIBC, UIBC, Serum Iron, and Iron Saturation are all mid-range, but my Ferritin seems a little on the high side – 136 (upper limit is 150), so I guess that’s OK, right? I’m homozygous for one HFE and hetero for two.

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Tely, It sounds like you are on top of this. Keep monitoring your iron-related levels. Personally, I think that as long as you are monitoring, you can push Vit C. Do not forget glutathione supplementation as a work-around. I like Bullet Proof glutathione. It comes as a thick orange gel in a syringe (no needle) that you keep in the fridge. You squeeze out a ml daily onto a spoon and lick off spoon. Taste is better than most others in liquid form, and its stable against oxidation. Most antioxidant supplements are susceptible to oxidation. Cynthia

fmksunsoul
    Participant

Sorry just to be clear, who responds to these posts? Cynthia, are you another member responding to these questions or a person who works for mthfrsupport?

Istvan
    Participant

Hi fmksunsoul!

Cynthia is part of MTHFR Support. She is well-versed when it comes to methylation and nutrigenomics.

You can find out more about her in Our Team section: link

MTHED17
    Participant

I was reading this thread….Please tell me if I am understanding correctly. Attempting to understand genetic disease is new to me. Trying to get it straight in my head. If I, and both my daughters, are Homozygous for G6PD A*3576 rs1050757 (TT) and G6PD A153760508G rs2071429 (AA) we are all G6PD deficient??? Or carriers??? Please elaborate. In advance, thank you for your time. 🙂

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi MTHFED17,

Your post has been forwarded for reply. We appreciate your patience in awaiting a response.

Lea

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Genetics are blueprints (copied by RNA) for making our enzymes, carrier proteins and receptors; not genetic disease.

2 G6PD SNPs does not mean that you are G6PD deficient. H6PD is a factor as are other SNPS. They MAY mean that you are more susceptible to triggers of G6PD deficiency such as IV Vit C. There are list on the Internet of other potential triggers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose-6-phosphate_dehydrogenase_deficiency
    Cynthia

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘MTHFR Support Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.