Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum General Discussion Does being homozygous for mthfr guarantee a folate / B12 deficiency? Confused

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I am hoping somebody here can help me. I did a 23andme test and ran my raw data through Promethease and GeneticGenie. My results came up as being homozygous for mthfr C677T as well as heterozygous for mtrr A66G and mtrr A664A.

I have had vague symptoms over the years (I’m now 34) that doctors have dismissed but having recently looked up more on MTHFR, I believe my symptoms might be due to a B12 deficiency. I made an appointment with my doctor to get tested for B12, folate, homocysteine and MMA. She didn’t know much about MTHFR but I asked her to humor me. Well, my results are back and according to my doctor everything is normal. However, after looking at my results myself and comparing them to various reference charts, I am wondering if I do in fact have a mild B12 deficiency. Here are my results:

Serum B12: 317
    Serum Folate: 11
    Homocystine: 8.3
    MMA: 0.15

It seems that my MMA level is well within healthy range but my Serum B12 is a bit low. Homocysteine is also a little bit elevated for someone in my age group.

I am wondering what to do next? My doctor doesn’t believe I need to supplement. I would love some advice – I am feeling very confused about how to proceed.

Thanks!

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Ani,

As we can’t diagnose and treat here it would be best if you sought the support of one of the practitioners on the MTHFR Support Find A Practitioner listing, see the tab at the top of this page. Most of the practitioners will consult via Skype worldwide. You can click on the red icons on the listing to access the practitioner’s websites. These practitioners are experienced in treating MTHFR and methylation and won’t dismiss your concerns.

Lea

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.