Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi. I am homozygous C677T. I found out in 2012 after a string of miscarriages. I was put on 2.2 mg folic acid and baby aspirin and went on to have a successful pregnancy. I am confused about potential detox. If I start taking a prenatal with L-5MTHF will that cause me to begin detoxing? Will that cause toxins to be excreted in my breast milk? I am nursing my 8-month-old. I’d like to attempt pregnancy again in a few months, and want to take the best thing for this potential pregnancy, but don’t want to do something that isn’t good for my nursing daughter.

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Alexandra, I was floored when I found out that best detox for Mom is via breast feeding. I breast feed both of my children. So, what I know now is that if you support methylation, you can detox via liver and not breast milk.

First bit of info, do not take folic acid at all; it will “plug up” you folate receptors. Instead take a good prenatal with 5 MTHF (folate). You likely also have clotting SNPs in addition to methylation SNPs. I do not know your details wrt B12 and folate and COMT and MTHFD1. Pleas send them so I can better advise. Cynthia

Alexandra
    Participant

Thanks for the info! I do not know how to answer this: “your details wrt B12 and folate and COMT and MTHFD1”. How do I find that out? I found out my MTHFR status via a series of tests after recurrent miscarriage. Are there specific PNVs that are recommended? And what about additional folate?

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Alexandra, Yes, You can maximize data buy first ordering a 23andMe saliva test kit ($99). Then, when you receive those results (fluffy), you can mine the raw data and run it through Sterlings App ($20) in order to generate a Variant Report of selected SNPs (up and down regulation of enzymes that affect biochemistry). The Variant Report is 19 pages of SNPs. MTHFR is only one SNPs. After that, you can work with a Practitioner, talk to Sterling, or talk to Lea on this website.

Miscarriages are mostly the result of a combo of methylation SNPs and clotting SNPs. Also, if one has been on BCPs and has methylation SNPs, folate is likely depleted. Pre-natals that include folic acid are not your friend, and in many, folic acid makes things worse. It seems complicated to figure out, but its not if you have access to your genetics, work with a Practitioner and you have some guidance on dietary changes. All Practitioners are very busy, but most of us dedicate hours (me, 5-6) per new consultation, to assist. The solution is often multi-layered. Cynthia

Alexandra
    Participant

I am confused. What do I need to do to support methylation to ensure I detox via the liver and not via the breast milk? Will switching to a prenatal with 5-MTHF automatically cause me to detox?

sandikiyomi
    Participant

how do you un-plug your folate receptors after having been on folic acid supplements for a long time? i was on 4mg for my pregnancy and then almost two for more than a year afterwards, and had also been on a prenatal with folic acid for the year before all of that.

Please, ask questions relevant to the topic. Meaning that if you create a topic and would like to ask
    about e.g. folic acid and pregnancy then it is unethical to ask e.g. “which genes are related to detox?”.
    This is abuse of our practitioners.

If our practitioners don’t get back to you ASAP please remember that they take off weekends and
    spend time with their families. During weekdays they have countless hours of consultations and try
    to help as many many people as they can. Please understand that on our forum the practitioners answer
    questions for free and do this out of generosity.

If you would like to have all your questions answered via Skype, then I suggest you visit our ‘Find a Practitioner’
    menu on our website and pick a desired practitioner to work with.

Thank you!

MTHFR Support team

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi ALexandra,

Everyone is different, but I do know that breast feeding is a pathway for Mom to rid herself of toxins. Having said that, its still a much better option than bottle feeding, if you can do it. Adding methylation support in the form of folate and B12 will likely increase your detoxification of the elements/chemicals/hormones that are conjugated in the liver via the methylation pathway (there are 6 other pathways). The “exit route” would typically be through stool. Cynthia

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Ask a Practitioner (closed)’ is closed to new topics and replies.