Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Ask a Practitioner (closed) COMT and Catecholamines and Sleep

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,

I’m interested in the difference in sleep-effect between Kavinace vs Phenibut. I recently tried a capsule of Phenibut (250 mg) for the first time. It took effect after about an hour and brought on a very deep sleep.

Question #1: what sort of neurotransmitter issues are better managed with Kavinace (which has the addition of B6 and Taurine) vs just straight Phenibut?

Question #2: How much Phenibut (approx.) would be included in Kavinace’ proprietary formulation? I found that one 250 mg capsule of Phenibut was almost too strong a dose for me.

Anxiety is not an issue with me. I just seem to have a hard time winding down for sleep even if I get into bed by 9:30pm, sleep mask on etc.

Thank you,

Irena Maria

hardasnails1973
    Participant

Kavinace work for people who have issue with anxiety and depression. One needs to be careful with kavinace as it can effect many other neurotransmitters which can have an adverse effect. Kavinace is a synergistic blend of nutrients which has been show to work wonders in many of my clients who have been having anxiety and depression for 10,20,30 years. Again looking at the neurotransmitters is only part of the equation. One needs to evaluate the whole person not just bits and pieces.

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Do you have a COMT SNP? If so, its best t work with a Practitioner. In the meantime here is a bit of info.
    – Neurotransmitters are chemicals in the brain that help to control states of consciousness, including moods. Serotonin and GABA down-regulate electrical activity in the brain, thereby contributing to calm, peacefulness, or less anxiety. Adrenaline and nor-adrenaline up-regulate electrical activity thereby promoting excitement, motivation, or, reducing depression and apathy. Dopamine is the “feel good” brain chemical. It is the dance of these electro-chemicals that produce emotional balance and feelings of well-being. In your case, the COMT enzyme, which breaks down the excitatory neurotransmitters (adrenaline, nor-adrenaline and dopamine), is impaired. This can result in feelings of being “wired”, sleep issues, addiction issues, mood swings and other neurotransmitter imbalances. This is because, high levels of excitatory neurotransmitters will down-regulate the associated receptors, and feedback pathways, thereby resulting in mood swings and cravings. The goal in most cases is to optimize your COMT enzyme’s ability to “smoothly” break down your excitatory neurotransmitters. This is done by providing the mineral and vitamin co-factors necessary to optimize COMT enzyme operation. Lifestyle and dietary changes may also be necessary. Boosting GABA and serotonin support may also assist in balancing.
    Cynthia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Ask a Practitioner (closed)’ is closed to new topics and replies.