Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum General Discussion Chronic fatigue syndrome, depression and autism

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I have a lot going on right now, but my health has gotten to a point where I’m practically disabled and getting SSI soon. I have a business I run from home but I was in the hospital due to a mental breakdown and then went through an 8 day program at the hospital. I’ve been to a lot of doctors since I was 21 but luckily I am smart enough to keep track of most of it and figure out a lot on my own. I am dealing with a lot though. Around the age of 21 after I had gotten really healthy and lost a ton of weight I started to get really sick, then gain a lot of it back and then start having issues with fatigue and brain fog. On top of that I was in a really stressful work environment for about 5 years and the first 2-3 were really rough and I was accused of just being a lowlife and on drugs at least a few times.

The insurance I am on because I am on medicaid decided to drop naturopaths as well, as I had found one I liked, i still get B-12 shots from it but until I get better insurance not going back there. I’m thinking I have some underlying viral infection like epstein barr as cat’s claw seemed to exacerbate my problems and make it worse. I am on a few medications which seem to be helping but I think from my mthfr snp results and my previous health history I’m likely low in dopamine, serotonin and norephinerine. When I was in the hospital they diagnosed me with major depression with psychotic features but also on the autistic spectrum as well. When I was younger I did go to special education through 5th grade and had speech problems as well as problems with socializing. In high school I went through a bad depressive episode and was on lexapro.

I just recently did a new mthfr report and it seems I have issues all over the place as well. I used to be an avid user of cannabis as well, as it seemed to help but I seem to be being told that it may not be beneficial for me any longer, although I think it helps relax my mood, muscles and makes me feel better. Most of these comments are from health professionals though. I don’t know of many people in my area that are familiar with methylation and these advanced biochemistry stuff, but luckily I have a few doctors that are willing to work with me though. I have been trying to get some medications I think will help such as low dose naltrexone but also cholestyramine. I may be able to get a drug that contains naltrexone called contrave as a weight loss pill as I am trying to lose weight. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any similar experience or any advice on the matter?

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Jared,

I will forward your post to our practitioner admin for their input. While you are awaiting their response, please do a search on Facebook for MTHFR groups, there are many. Engaging in some of these groups will provide you with resources and most importantly support from other members experiencing the same or similar issues.

Lea

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Jared, First, Cats Claw SLOWS down dopamine and epinephrine BREAKDOWN so one and/or other tends to go too high. If you have COMT V158M ++ SNPs; its not recommended as you will typically run high in dopamine and/o epic, and not low. Neurotransmitters are complicated as receptors are in play as well, especially domaine receptors DRD2. High dopamine down-regulates associated dopamine receptors (swings ensue); kind of like insulin resistance. I suspect that there may be some alcohol abuse in your genetic family tree, so please be careful with sleep hygiene, anything that manipulates dopamine (pot and alcohol). If you find that pot helps, try only CBD for pain. On another note, Weight gain may be associated with fat malabsorption (yes, you read that correctly!) I don’t have enough data to comment on layered approach here, but if you are grazing on carbs to boost serotonin in the evening, then you may be experiencing lack of fat absorption (poor bile and possibly gallbladder symptoms), so your body is “storing” fats from carb conversion for a rainy day.

Jared
    Participant

Thanks for the response, I’m trying to find good medications and someone that knows what they are doing, im thinking I have some digestive but also fat absorption problems, I’ve looked into it a lot in the past and when I can I try to use digestive enzymes, betaine hcl and even ox bile. I’m trying to go lower carb maybe even ketosis to see if that will help, when I was 21 losing the weight was easy and I have lost some recently but I feel like it will take me a lot to get me to be “healthy” as well. I have mao a and b mutations as well but also ones that affect my mitochondria as well. I’m thinking if I try wellbutrin it may help in the future.

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Jared,

Your post has been forwarded to Cynthia. We appreciate your patience in awaiting her response.

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Jared, I don’t know all of your particulars, but I have found that Bile Builder provides a good combination of digestive aids if you suspect fat malabsorption.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.