Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Can methylation results be obtained with 23andMe results when uploaded to Sterli

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently found out that I have 1 copy of the C677T mutation.

We know that one of the first steps for having an MTHFR mutation would be to get on methylfolate and a methylated B-12. Unfortunately my OBGYN suspects I am methyl sensitive which has causes severe anxiety in the past. Therefore, we need to determine if I am methyl sensitive or not before dealing with the mutation. I need to know whether or not methylation results can still be obtained with 23 and Me results when uploaded to Sterlings App? Please advise. Also, do you have a 1-800 number that I can contact you guys on? Thank you.

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Jaclyn,

Contrary to popular belief getting on to methylated B12 and methylfolate is not the first step when finding out you have a MTHFR mutation.
    Many foundational issues and other SNPs need to be addressed first. In many cases when these are addressed and become optimal methylation can correct and supplementation may not be necessary. These supplements are not appropriate for all people and following protocols and what other people take while they may be helpful to them may cause others harm. Treatment needs to be individualized specific to your needs.

Doing 23andme will provide you will a much broader picture of your SNPs as the tests provide raw data on over 650,000 SNPs many which are involved in methylation along with MTHFR which is only part of the picture.

Uploading your raw data to Sterling App V2.2 will generate a report which will tell you whether you have a mutation or not for over 1,000 SNPs including many related to methylation and other associated pathways. If you do have a mutation the report will show you if you are heterozygous or homozygous but it will not tell you if the gene is expressing and it is only when it is that you should seek treatment. This goes for all SNPs not just MTHFR. Treating a SNP when it is not expressing can do harm and treatment should only be done under the supervision of a practitioner who is experienced in interpreting 23andMe, variant report, methylation, nutrigenomic and epigenetics. Such practitioners can be found here https://mthfrsupport.com/find-a-practitioner/. Many will consult via Skype or phone globally providing you with a wider choice of who to work with and may save you the stress and cost of travelling. Functional testing is usually required to ascertain if the SNP/s are expressing and the practitioner will advise you on which tests may be needed.

MTHFR Support does not have 1-800 number. To contact us you can ask questions here. As well as our website http://www.mthfrsupport.com we also have a Facebook page at
    https://www.facebook.com/mthfrsupport/ where you can comment on posts. If you have technical issues eg using the App or the website you can email our Technical Support team at contact@mthfrsupport.com.

Lea

jaclyndinardo
    Participant

Hi Lea. Thank you for your response. However, I need to know whether or not 23andme results, when uploaded through the Sterlings App will let me know whether or not I am methyl sensitive? thank you again. If I get you my number is there any way you can call me to eleviate the struggle of trying to get on the same page via email? -Jaclyn

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Jaclyn,

You would need to consult with a practitioner and have functional testing to determine whether methyls are an issue for you.

Lea

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by  Lea (Admin).
    jaclyndinardo
    Participant

Hi Lea, I received an email from you a few days ago that you were going to contact me through my email address in order to obtain my contact information. I never received an email from you though. I really do need to talk with someone prior to purchasing the 23andme kit. Thank you, Jaclyn

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Jaclyn, I received a bounce back notification when I tried to email you so I replied in this feed instead.

As I mentioned previously 23andMe and Sterling’s App V2.2 Variant report will not tell you if you are methyl sensitive you would need to consult with a practitioner to ascertain that.

You can find practitioners who can assist you with determining gene expressing and what supplements are appropriate for you if you are expressing here
    https://mthfrsupport.com/find-a-practitioner/. These practitioners can also advise you if testing via 23andMe is necessary.

Lea

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘MTHFR Support Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.