Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum Pregnancy Blood thinners during pregnancy?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My husband and I have struggled with infertility and miscarriages for the past 2.5 years. In that time I have had 1 natural pregnancy that ended in miscarriage at 6.5 weeks followed by 5 IUI’s, a laparoscopy to clear up some minor endometriosis, 1 successful round of IVF that also ended in miscarriage at 6.5 weeks, and finally a hysteroscopy to make sure I didn’t have a septate uterus [which I don’t]. My husband and I both did a chromosome workup [that did not include a MTHFR test] and everything came back normal on both ends. After hearing our results and desperately searching for a potential cause of our infertility/miscarriages, I requested to have the MTHFR test and it came back heterozygous c677t. This was the only mutation that they tested for. My doctor stated that since it was heterozygous, I didn’t need to do anything different. After doing my own research, I decided to switch to Thorne’s basic prenatal vitamin to get the methylated B’s but I’m wondering if I should be doing anything else??? We are about to do another Embryo Transfer [frozen] at the end of this month so I am desperately trying to find information to improve our chances of a successful pregnancy. Does anyone know if the heterozygous mutation is associated with blood clots and, if so, will the methylated B’s be enough to correct the problem or should I be on blood thinners too? Would going on blood thinners during pregnancy do any harm if I do not really need them? My acupuncturist [who knows a little about the MTHFR but does not fully understand the difference between heterozygous and homozygous] said she’s willing to put me on a Chinese Herb that acts as a blood thinner if I want her to. I’m a little nervous about self-medicating but my doctor seems to be ignoring the mutation simply because it’s heterozygous. We are searching for a needle in a haystack and I’m wondering if this could be the cause of our fertility issues. Please help! 🙂

Sterling Hill Erdei
    Keymaster

Hi Jen,

A good person to contact would be nutritionist Shawn Bean located in PA. He would probably look into thyroid, adrenals, hormones, do a methylation analysis and many other things to optimize your methylation.
    Have you been checked for clotting disorders?
    Have you thought about doing 23andme? They will only give you ancestry but do have your raw data available and you can run your 23andme in an application like I have on my website. Here is a sample of what you would get. http://mthfrsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/V4-chip.pdf
    If you missed, read my FAQ http://www.mthfrsupport.com/mthfr-facts/
    Also listen to some of our archived radio shows. http://www.mthfrsupport.com/resources/blog-talk-radio-show/
    And like us on FB where practitioners interact with the public. https://www.facebook.com/mthfrsupport?ref_type=bookmark
    Consider listening to Stephanie Seneff who is the head of artificial intelligence at MIT and is also studying the dangers of glysophate (can effect fertility) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqWwhggnbyw

Hope all of this helps,

Sterling Erdei

Jen
    Participant

Thank you!!!

cammie6549
    Participant

Hello- I’m in your exact boat and about to do a frozen transfer too, wondering what you ended up doing and if it worked? My dr has me starting Metanx, heparin for a thinner before transfer and through 1st tri if it works. although they haven’t tested actual levels of foliage, b12, and b6, or to see if I have clotting issues. They said this is just protocol for everyone that tests positive for mthfr and has had miscarriages.
    Any help would be wonderful!!!

Lea
    Participant

Hi Cammie,

I have forwarded your post on for comment by one of the practitioners. Your patience in awaiting a reply is appreciated.

Lea

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Jen,

I see this often these days in my clients who have had difficulty with pregnancy. I the “old day’s clotting SNPs did not express as they do now. Now they express earlier. So, yes, some sort or anti-clotting support may be helpful.

A couple of questions… do you have any issues with adrenal fatigue or hypothyroid? They factor in as well, big time, with infertility issues.

Also, do you know if you have SHMT1 and/or MTHFS and/or MTHFD1 SNPs?

You can email me directly at c.smith@lifezonewellness.com with more details.

Cynthia

Dr Jacquie
    Participant

Dear Jen,
    I just saw your post. If you are still needing help with conceiving and maintaining your pregnancy, I am trained as a naturopathic physician licensed in Arizona and have advanced training in Chinese Medicine. I have had a family practice since 1999 and often work with fertility issues. Since the past 2 years of advanced studies in nutrigenomics and use of MTHFRSupport reports I have found it a powerful tool for strategic supplementation to help people reach their health goals. Nutrigenomics derived from analysis how different SNPs can optimize the function of metabolic pathways involved in hormone, detoxification and energy balance. Supplementation alone may not be enough; I use personalized dietary counselling based on genetics and Chinese herbal medicine. I work internationally with my patients via Skype. If you have interest or any questions please contact me at support@greenfieldsclinic.co.uk or via http://greenfieldsclinic.co.uk or reply here.

Jessica
    Participant

I am also looking into blood thinners. I am hoping to get some resources about pregnancy risk as a homozygous A1298C with no symptoms. Due to my mother’s DVT in 2000, I was tested for blood clotting disorders in 2009 despite the fact I have never had any clotting issues and was diagnosed as homozygous A1298C. My homocysteine serum is normal. I have never been pregnant, but I have never tried to get pregnant. I have been on birth control pills for 7 years. My ObGyn said that as soon as I know I am pregnant, she wants to start me on lovenox. I am currently taking 81mg aspirin and 2mg folate daily. Can you point me to any resources that will help me evaluate the risks of carrying a pregnancy without lovenox and the risks of using lovenox? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

Your post has been forwarded to a practitioner for reply. Your patience in awaiting a reply is appreciated.
    Practitioners reply on a voluntary basis and due to work/life commitments may not always be able to respond immediately but do their best.

Lea

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Jessica,

Many women are having difficulty conceiving these days. Back in my day, it was opposite, but we ate differently. Both of my children were conceived as an Oppps. My daughter was conceived when I had one ovary, was in law school and single/struggling at 41. It was touch and go in early pregnancy, But she is a healthy 16 year old now. She had to do many dietary restrictions to thrive, so its possible that my old eggs conferred epigenetic changes to her. I lost an ovary to a huge cyst from progesterone IUD before she was conceived, but she came out OK. TMI. As you are under care of a Doc, then follow advice. I’d like to add though that diet is a factor wrt to clotting, and BCPs deplete folate and magnesium. If you could do anything, cut out all refined foods and foods that include genetically modified anything. Many oils fall into this category. Same for beef, chickens and farm raised fish that eat the genetically modified corn and alfalfa and soy. Im 57 and would be hard pressed to ID a kid on the spectrum as a child. Our genetics haven’t changed; our environment has. Do your best to eat organic foods, and stay away from genetically modified foods, especially those that require round-up Round-up foods are like antibiotics to our gut microbiota; it kills the good ones

Dr Jacquie
    Participant

Dear Jessica,
    Deep vein thrombosis and miscarriage associations with MTHFR is only part of the picture. When addressing any MTHFR issues it is essential to address all the collateral or downstream metabolic pathways that we can know about from your 23andMe raw data. Therefore, using treating only MTHFR SNPs with a pharmaceutical folic acid without regard to how methylation is functioning in the bigger picture in your metabolism, is a random act with possible untoward side effects. Maybe your family history indicates the use of aspirin to prevent a DVT, but more significantly for you is your Blood Type and secretor status, Factor V and II which are often OK in Blood Group O. PMID: 18803625

I would recommend that you have your 23andMe analysed by a naturopathic physician who can understand the entire network of metabolic pathways including your blood groups that are involved with these genes, the role your diet, stress management and supplementation plays with balancing the relationships between MTHFR, clotting factors, as well as AHCY, (Homocysteine), CBS, Histamine, BH4, Urea Cycle, Detoxification Pathways I, II, and III and Mitochondrial function.

Please see contact information on http://greenfieldsclinic.co.uk and I will get back to you. MTHFR Genome Mapping: http://www.greenfieldsclinic.co.uk/services/naturopathic-medicine/mthfr-genome-mapping and I service international patients via Skype:http://www.greenfieldsclinic.co.uk/practitioners/jacqueline-greenfield

Sincerely,

Jacqueline

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by  Dr Jacquie.
    Jessica
    Participant

My MTHFR diagnosis was through doctor-ordered lab tests performed by LabCorps in the US, so I did not use the 23andMe service. My Factor II, Factor V, Protein C, Protein S, and all other clotting factors are normal. Does anyone have experience with a homozygous A1298C with no clotting issues and pregnancy? I am looking for a second opinion for whether Lovenox is the best path. I would rather not take unnecessary medication.

Lea (Admin)
    Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

For a second opinion you would need to consult with a practitioner direct as those who volunteer their time here can not diagnose and treat on this forum and can only provide general information.

Practitioners who can assist you can be found on this listing http://mthfrsupport.com/find-a-practitioner/.

Lea

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Pregnancy’ is closed to new topics and replies.