Home Forums MTHFR Support Forum General Discussion Birth Control Questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently found out that I have the MTHFR gene and so does my mother. She is very helpful with informing me about this and my health, however, I do not feel completely comfortable speaking to her about birth control options. For a year I was taking the depo provera shot, but then found out about this gene and was worried it was unhealthy for my body. So I recently came off of it, but I still wish to take a form of birth control besides condom use. I was hoping to know what each form does to our bodies when we have this gene, and which would be the best option. I have looked into the pill, shot, implant, and both versions of IUD (hormonal and non hormonal).

Cynthia Smith
    Participant

Hi Anne, Our ability to tolerate various forms of birth control depends on our liver’s ability to clear them. If you have CYP1B1 and COMT V158M SNPs, then you may want to choose an IUD where no hormones circulate. If you do not have CYP1B1 and CONT V158M SNPs and/or history of estrogen dominance symptoms, then other forms of contraception should be OK. I would definitely not do any implants though. Just my opinion.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.